Friday, January 11, 2008

What Rail Means for Local Businesses

Rail means more than just $152 million new economic activity to our region. That's terrific, but general. How might we see some of that growth? Erica Walch, the owner of Speak Easy Accent Modification (a downtown business), observed: "I currently commute to Boston twice per week to work with clients. If we had a commuter rail to Boston, I would definitely ride it. If we had commuter rail to Southern CT, I would explore working with clients in that area, as they would be easier to reach (whether I went to them or they to me). I would also use both of these services to commute to Boston and the NYC area for recreational outings. I drive to NYC/Brooklyn about twice a year, and would probably go more often if I didn't have to drive."

She could grow her business into Southern Connecticut and stay in her home base of Springfield. That helps Erica, Springfield, the Pioneer Valley, and Massachusetts. Local businesses benefit from commuter rail.
(photo from Business West)

No comments: